Sunday, September 11, 2011

Epic flattops!



Earlier this week, Plan 9 made a FB post about having Nekromantix tickets to give away. I'm down with some psychobilly, so I made a comment to say I was interested. Needless to say, no one else commented, and I got a message asking where I wanted my tickets mailed to. Well, snap! So, on Friday, I grabbed my co-worker, Jason, and we drove down to Virginia Beach to see this show at the Jewish Mother.

When we got there, we snagged some Joose and Amp and sat in a K-mart parking lot across the street to drink them before we went in.  I love going to psychobilly shows and seeing all of the 50's gear and hairstyles. I'm so used to mohawks, long hair, and black t-shirts that it's nice to people watch in a different crowd. Even I, not passing up a chance to dress up a bit,  donned a reconstructed Germs shirt, a little black skirt, and some above-the-knee black and grey striped socks. It's not 50's garb, but I don't care.

The openers were sweet, though I don't remember who they were, since the lineup was different than what was advertised. It doesn't really matter, they all sound quite similar, and everyone was there for Nekromantix anyway. The venue was a bit whack; there were barricades even though there weren't many people, and there were definitely more bouncers than needed. Once a small pit of 8-10 people started during Nekromantix, three bouncers immediately shoved their way in to "regulate". It was a bit pitiful to watch. I didn't really care, though, because I was off on the side dancing my ass off. I was keeping an eye on Jason, because that boy is notorious for fucking with authority figures, and I wanted to make sure I would notice if he got kicked out. Halfway through the set, sure enough, he got yanked down by a bouncer when he started to climb the barricade, and they began to drag him out. I suppose he had a bit of verbal finesse, however, because I watched him talk his way out of it.

A little bit later, I had a guy approach me. He told me that his friend thought I was cute. WTF? Is this middle school? Are you serious? Perhaps realizing the absurdity of his statement, he shoved his friend over, who gave me an awkward greeting. He asked me if I lived in Richmond, and didn't he recognize me from Strange Matter? Yeah, you got me. This is the point where I try to decide how blunt to be. Should I tell this guy right here and now that I'm not single? I can tell where he's trying to go with this conversation. However, I'm always all for making new acquaintances, and I'm guilty of being very friendly. It seems harsh to shoot him down immediately after he asks my name, but I also don't want to lead him on. While I'm debating this in my head, I just continue dancing, and he leans over and asks if he can buy me a drink. Well, I guess he made my mind up for me! I told him that I would not decline such an offer, but that I was taken, and I didn't want to lead him on. He said it was still no problem, though I cannot help but wonder if he would have offered had I told him sooner. I didn't even drink the whole beer, since it was a tall boy, and I was to be driving back to RVA that evening. We ended up shooting the shit for a bit about random festivals and shows, and we floated off to our respective groups of friends.

There is such an interesting dynamic to flirting and approaching people that I forget about sometimes, since I haven't genuinely been single for almost 6 years. Was it wrong to accept a drink from someone when I'm not available? I guess it depends on circumstance. I've had people buy me drinks in exchange for good conversation, regardless of intention, and I would readily do the same in that situation. There's also the "nonconformist" in me that enjoys the social experiment involved when I approach someone and offer to buy them a drink. Just another easy way to learn something about a new acquaintance.

When the show was over, Jason expressed interest in staying in town, so I headed back on my own so I could enjoy some snuggles and exchange lovely words with Webber that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment